Hassle Free Checking? No Way!
Section 705 offers hassle-free checking accounts to all of our members, and FREE basic-style checks to our members who are senior citizens (65 and over). Checking accounts are
Here are a few more details about the convenient checking account services that we offer to all of our wonderful members:
Don’t Be Scared to Switch Your Checking Account!
We get it! The idea of changing your checking account can feel tedious and overwhelming. That’s why we’ve made this checking account switch kit to help you ease into the transition. Change one automatic payment at a time! No need to stress, we’ve thought of all the steps that need to be taken before moving accounts. See the list and forms below to switch your checking to Section 705 FCU:
- Switch Kit Guide
- Existing Direct Deposit Change Request Form
- Setup New Direct Deposit
- Automatic Payment Cancellation
- Automatic Payment Transfer
- Setup NEW Automatic Payment Transfer
- Account Closing Request Form
Send completed form in ONE of the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 337-232-2786
- Mail: P.O. Box 91646, Lafayette, LA 70509
Want to Know More about Credit Unions? Visit www.asmarterchoice.org.
TIP! Wait at least one full month before closing your checking account from the other financial institution. This will insure that you have not forgot any automatic payments.
What Checking Account Types are Offered?
1) 705 Checking Account
This is our general checking account option offered to qualifying members.
- No minimum balance is required.
- You are able to review your checks through our helpful online system.
- No monthly service charge.
- Seniors (65 and above) can take advantage of free basic style checks!
- See disclosures.
2) Teen Checking
The 705 Teen Checking is offered to members ages 13 – 17.
- The teen must have a savings account with Section 705 in order to get a teen checking account.
- An adult must be on the account as a joint signer. (If the account goes negative, the joint member is responsible for bringing the account current.)
- Debit cards are available for teen checking accounts.
- Free E-Products: Online Banking, Account Alerts, Bill Pay, E-Statements, Mobile Banking, and My $ Planner
- No minimum balance is required and no monthly service charge.
- See disclosures.
3) Bounce Back Checking
This brand new checking account type is built for members with less than perfect history with checking accounts. We want to help you get back on track with our new Bounce Back Checking program. The details are below:
- Qualifications: Checking account program for those who have outstanding checking account balances with other financial institutions and are looking to get their finances in order.
- Service Charge: $10.00 per month.
- Free Visa Debit Card: (after six months of satisfactory account status)
- Credit Counseling
- After 12 month probationary period, the member can request to switch over to a free checking account.
- Free E-Products: Online Banking, Account Alerts, Audio Response, Bill Pay, E-Statements, Mobile Banking, and My $ Planner
- Unlimited check writing
- See disclosures.
Make Your Life Simple with these Checking Account Tools!
Life can be so BUSY! Simplify your checking account with these free and easy tools offered by your credit union.
- Safety Net: We have three options, so your account never goes into the red!
- You are able to write unlimited checks.
- Debit Card
- Direct Deposit
- Automatic Transfers
- E-Services: Go green with our E-Services (Online Banking, Bill Pay, E-Statements, and Mobile Banking.)
- My $ Planner: Checking out this free budgeting tool located within our Online Banking.
If you have specific questions, please call us at 337-232-8450 or email Jasmine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an idea for a product or service you think would be great for the credit union? Email Emily! We won’t know unless you tell us.
Swipe & Go!
Debit cards have become very popular in the last few years, because of convenience and direct access to funds. When you make a purchase, the payment will actually come directly from your available share draft (checking) account balance! This means no more fumbling around at the register for cash or wasting time writing checks…simply swipe & go! Debit cards can be used at any ATM that accepts the logo to make cash withdrawals.
The Details on Your Debit Card!
Debit Cards are a wonderful option for those of you who want instant access to the funds in your checking account. This direct link allows you to get cash from ATM’s all over the U.S. and for simple payments at the grocery story.
- You may withdraw up to a maximum of $600 in any one day from an ATM if funds are available.
- You may purchase up to $5,000 in any one day (exceptions above apply) if funds are available.
- No monthly fee
- Unlimited usage other than daily dollar limits
ATM Networks: Section 705 is in two ATM networks where you can go ATM’s for FREE. See details about Money Pass and Pulse ATM Network (choose Select.)
Safety Net Products for Your Checking
CO-OP Shared Branching
When going out of town:
- For security, please inform the credit union when you are going out of town (both international and within the U.S.)
- Provide us with the dates of travel and destination of travel.
- Reason: Securing your money is a top priority at Section 705 FCU. To do this, we must monitor the risks for you and adjust our policies accordingly. Due to an unfortunate rise in debit card fraudulent activities, all debit card usage for international travel has been hindered. If you are traveling out of the country or in need of international purchases on your debit card, you will simply have to contact Section 705 FCU in advance to advise us of your whereabouts.
See all the account services Section 705 has to offer to make your life easier.
A Branch in Your Pocket! Before you go out of town, get our mobile banking app.
Want to financial tips regurlarly from your credit union?
Vacation Tip: Begin planning vacations or trips that you’ll be taking EARLY. Planning ahead can save you money and you might be able to stretch your budget further just by booking hotel rooms and airline tickets further in advance.
Debit Card Mishaps!
We know how stressful and unfortunate it is to get your debit card compromised. Please be diligent about reviewing your statement and/or Online Banking account. Do not hesitate to call if you believe that your card has indeed been compromised. We will walk you through necessary steps that need to be taken to resolve this issue.
Find an ATM Wherever You Go!
We do NOT want you to be charged for getting your money. That’s why the credit union has a few options for access to your funds.
- Local ATMS: Section 705 has teamed up with 10 plus credit unions in the Acadiana area. You can go to these credit unions surcharge free.
- ATM Networks: Out of town? You can visit one of the ATMs in the Money Pass and Pulse Select network. Download the App (for iPhone and Android) or visit the websites listed below for locations.
- COOP Shared Branch: Out of town or on the other side of town? Visit one of the several Shared Branching locations in the Acadiana Area and thousands in the nation. Click here for the details to utilize this awesome, FREE service. Visit the website or download the iPhone or Android app for your convenience.
Section 705 FCU is pleased to introduce CardValet®, a mobile card management application that helps reduce account fraud by allowing cardholders to monitor accounts with their smartphone and control how, when and where their debit card is used.
CardValet was developed in partnership with Fiserv and is available in the Apple® App Store or Google® Play. Once CardValet is set up, cardholders have the ability to “turn off” their card when not in use, establish transaction spending limits and decline a transaction when the amount exceeds a predefined threshold.
Real-time smartphone alerts can be customized based on the types of information each cardholder would like to receive. For example, a cardholder can set up an alert to be notified when a card is used, when a transaction is approved and exceeds any of the permitted use policies, or when a card transaction has been attempted but has been declined based on the parameters established.
CardValet offers cardholders the capability of linking additional accounts to better monitor dependent spending. So, by using the GPS system in their smart phone, geographic use restrictions can be established for college students along with restrictions on merchant type and spending limits.
CardValet is ideal for users who want to actively manage their cards. CardValet’s inventive and thoughtful approach to card management makes the user experience as easy as possible. We are excited to offer this tool to our cardholders! Not only is CardValet user-friendly and convenient, but it will aide in our continued efforts to prevent fraud and identity theft for our cardholders.
For more details on CardValet, visit the official website or watch the tutorial video!
Have You Taken Precautions?
We know that each member is different, so we want to offer products to meet your individual needs. The safety net products offer a cushion in case of emergencies where you do not have enough money in your checking. Having a debit card decline can be embarrassing, inconvenient, and stressful when you need access to cash quickly. That’s exactly why we offer two different methods to protect your checking account from going into the red. As a member, you may elect as many safety net products as you’d like for your checking account.
Option 1: Overdraft Privilege – Need a safety net for your checking account? Sometimes, the busyness of life leaves room for error. This does not have to be the case with your checking account. If you choose Overdraft Privilege, funds will first be taken from the Overdraft Protection methods you chose upon opening your Checking account. (Teen Checking accounts are not eligible for Overdraft Privilege.) If funds are not available, the credit union will cover the cost of that transaction up to $500. When this occurs, your account will go into the negative.
Overdraft Privilege Details
|Save yourself the embarrassment and inconvenience!||We will take care of it. You will not have to deal with a returned check or the fee merchants normally charge for checks returned to them.|
|The credit union has your back.||
|Do the math!||Example) Your check for rent gets returned. The credit union charged you $25.00; the apartment complex charged a $25 fee for the NSF check; and a late fee of $25. That is a $75 mistake that could have been avoided with our Checking Account Safety Net!|
|The credit union||The credit union reserves the right to not pay items that would cause your account to overdraft if your account is not in good standing with the credit union or if you have too many overdrafts. More details!|
Option 2: Overdraft Protection – Overdraft Protection can help you in a variety of ways. Using this service will enable you to avoid embarrassing account overdrafts and returns, as well as costly fees that come along with an overdraft from your account! We offer two different types of Overdraft Protection for your convenience:
Overdraft Protection Details
Overdraft Protection “From Savings” will allow the transfer of funds from the following types of accounts: regular share accounts, super green accounts, or second savings accounts. You may also link a totally separate account number to cover any overdraft transactions. (See fee schedule or FAQs for the details.)
Still have questions? Contact us today to see if this product is right for your financial needs.
Safety Net FAQs
An overdraft happens when you do not have the funds within your checking account to cover the transaction that has been made. We have overdraft safety nets in place. Section 705 may elect to pay the transaction anyway. We can safeguard your account in two ways:
- We have standard Overdraft Privilege that is included when a checking account is opened
- For a more extensive protection, we offer Overdraft Protection plans. For example, you may setup a link to a savings account or line of credit. This may be a less expensive option than the Overdraft Privilege program.
The following transactions will be covered by Overdraft Privilege:
- Checks and any transactions made with the use your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize to pay overdrafts for the transactions seen below unless you authorize Section 705 to do so:
- One time debit card transactions
NOTE: We will only pay overdrafts with your permission. If you do not authorize us to pay for any type of transaction, your transaction will be declined.
If you do want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on one-time debit card transactions, call 337-232-8450 or complete the Debit Card Overdraft Opt-In Authorization Form.
Overdraft Protection by Loan
An Overdraft Protection line of credit protects your checking account from returned checks due to insufficient funds available. Because this is a loan line of credit, this must be applied for and approved.
An Overdraft Protection line of credit protects your checking account from fees obtained due to insufficient funds. Plus, you won’t have to worry about the embarrassment of being turned down for a purchase due to insufficient funds.
All lines will be for a maximum of $1000.00 at a fixed rate of interest of 12% APR*. It doesn’t cost anything to have the line of credit available, the only fees involved will be if you access the line of credit by over-drafting your checking account. A fee of $5.00 will be assessed for each day that the line is accessed. Transfers to cover the overdraft amount will be made from the Overdraft Protection line of credit to the checking account in increments of $50.00 to cover both the overdraft amount and the access fee. A full increment of $50.00 must be available for transfer.
*APR=Annual Percentage Rate
Should checks attempt to clear without sufficient funds available to do so, money will automatically be pulled from the Overdraft Protection line of credit if it is available. Funds will be transferred in $50.00 increments to cover the overdraft amount plus the $5.00 fee. Payments will be made automatically from your checking account on the 25th of the month, beginning on the month following the initial transfer. These payments will be in the amount of $20.00 until the Overdraft Protection line of credit is paid in full.
You may apply by mail, fax, phone, in person, or you can APPLY ON-LINE. Click for contact information. It’s that easy! So, don’t wait until the need for the Overdraft Protection line of credit comes up and you don’t have it!
Overdraft Protection from Savings
Overdraft Protection from Savings protects your checking account from returned checks due to insufficient funds available by accessing the funds from your regular savings, Super Green, or second savings.
If funds are available when an overdraft occurs, enough funds will be transferred from your savings to pay the overdraft and the fee incurred. Funds available include all collected funds over the par value of $25.00. A fee of $10.00 will be charged for each day a transfer is made, however if the overdraft option is never accessed, no fees will be paid. Funds transferred will be enough to bring the account balance to zero after the check is paid and the service charge is applied.
If you have a Section 705 FCU checking account and choose not to have some type of overdraft protection, there are many risks involved. Not only do you risk having checks returned if you do not have enough funds to cover clearing items, but you also risk the embarrassment of attempting to make a purchase and being denied. Plus, overdraft protection from savings is free if you never use it, so it costs you nothing to be cautious!
Overdraft Protection from savings is optional and must be authorized in writing, so to apply, contact us today. Don’t wait until the need for the Overdraft Protection from savings comes up and you don’t have it!